Saturday, August 21, 2010

Ein Gedi





On my way south to Petra from Jerusalem, I stopped at a town called Ein Gedi along the Dead Sea to swim for an hour or two. The water is 8 times saltier than the ocean! When you walk into the sea, you remain in a standing position even after your feet have left the ground because you float- the water stays at chest level! It is crazy, I think it would be impossible to drown. It tastes terrible and burns your skin a bit. The water is also very hot- feels like stepping into a bathtub- not so refreshing when it is 47 degrees outside! Glad I went, an hour or two was enough time for me. As you can tell by the photos, you can see how the salt crystalizes on the sand.

3 comments:

  1. Wait... what photos? I want to see the salt crystals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, photos take FOREVER to load here, so I sometimes do it in pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I see them now. Cool!

    Is there anything alive in the water? Is it even worth snorkeling, or do you just go to swim?

    ReplyDelete