Sunday, August 8, 2010

Mt Sinai





Very early in the morning, I climbed Mt Sinai. The tourist bus came to my hotel at about 11 PM and we drove for three hours through the Red Mountains and then began hiking. It was still dark so I couldn't see much on the way up. The top of the mountain was so cold because of the wind, hard to believe anything here can be cold in July. The sunrise was beautiful. It is incredible to think that Moses received the Ten Commandments in the same place I was standing all those years ago. The guide convinced me to take the stairs route down and informed he halfway down that there were 3000 steps- but they are small ones, he said. Hmmmm. The Monastery of St Catherine, at the base of the mountain, was beautiful as well, supposed to house the burning bush and Moses' Well. I had a wonderful time.

1 comment:

  1. I love love love this! Too cool. (At least you didn't come down from that mountain with white hair...grin)
    You are getting to experience some amazing things! I know Mike keeps checking this blog because he is hungry to see all of your pictures and read about your adventures. We are all so happy you had this opportunity to travel to the Holy Land & that part of the world.

    ReplyDelete