Friday, August 13, 2010

Nazareth





I left Jerusalem first thing in the morning to head up to Nazareth. It seemed hotter up there! The northern part of Israel is just beautiful- lots of wonderful, green rolling hills. First I went to the sites in the city- the Basilica of the Annunciation (where Angel Gabriel supposedly told Mary that she was going to have baby Jesus), the Church of Joseph (built over the site that Joseph had his shop) and Mary's well- believed to be the well Mary drew water from. It was really neat, especially the Basilica of the Annunciation, the church is stunning. Took a bus over to Tiberias in the afternoon, which sits right on the Sea of Galilee. The sea, or lake, is beautiful as well. The Jordan River begins at the southern end of the sea and is believed to be the place where John baptized Jesus. I reconfirmed my vows there and I think it is one of the most powerful things I have ever done. Even if it is not at the exact spot Christ was baptized, it is known for certain that it was very very close. It is amazing to walk the streets of Nazareth and try to imagine it 2000 years ago, it was Jesus' stomping ground!

1 comment: